By Murray Bromberg
This up-to-date vocabulary-building ebook provides the fundamental middle of phrases that scholars at middle-school and better degrees needs to recognize and be capable to use fluently for tutorial luck. those phrases additionally represent crucial vocabulary for ESL scholars and test-takers, in addition to others who communicate English as their moment language. The authors current a sequence of short word-building classes, every one introducing 12 new phrases which are awarded in pattern sentences and brief articles. Fill-in-the-blanks routines support scholars degree their word-building development. trained with transparent but uncomplicated definitions and examples, readers will locate their vocabulary has superior dramatically.
Read or Download 504 Absolutely Essential Words PDF
Similar language & grammar books
Featuring linguistic and historic sketches of lesser-known touch languages, this paintings goals to give a contribution to a extra balanced view of the main dramatic result of language touch. The 12 case reports provide testimony opposed to the view that each one touch languages are pidgins and creoles with maximally easy and basically exact grammars.
In courting considering, N. J. Enfield outlines a framework for interpreting social interplay and its linguistic, cultural, and cognitive underpinnings by way of concentrating on human relationships. this can be a naturalistic method of human sociality, grounded within the systematic examine of real-time info from social interplay in way of life.
First released in 1986. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa corporation.
This quantity describes and evaluates the newest theories, empirical findings, and purposes within the box of pragmalinguistics constructed in a few socialist states of Europe – as a rule in Czechoslovakia, Poland, the German Democratic Republic, and the USSR. the result of the author’s personal examine in pragmatically orientated psycholinguistics are integrated besides.
- Translation and Relevance: Cognition and Context
- Development of Pragmatic and Discourse Skills in Chinese-Speaking Children
- A Dictionary of Russian Idioms and Colloquialisms 2,200 Expressions with Examples
- Language in Interaction: Studies in honor of Eve V. Clark
- A Foreign Education
Additional resources for 504 Absolutely Essential Words
Swearing to catch the murderer, the detectives revealed* that it had been an unusually brutal, violent* crime. 5. opponent (a po' nant) person who is on the other side of a fight, game, or discussion; person fighting, struggling or speaking against another a. The Russian chess player underestimated* his opponent and lost. b. He was a bitter opponent of costly urban* reform. c. * 6. brawl (brol) a noisy quarrel or fight a. The journalist* covered all the details of the brawl in the park. b. Larry dreaded* a brawl with his father over finding a job.
The lawyer was bewildered by his client's* lack* of interest in the case. b. His partner's weird* actions left Jack bewildered. c. Bewildered by the sudden hazy* weather, he decided not to go to the beach. Words in Use Read the following passage to see how the new words are used in it. Roller Derby The most unruly game known to man or woman is the Roller Derby. Revived* every so often on television, it has no rival for violent, brutal action. The game commences* with two teams on roller skates circling a banked, oval track.
3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. The massive* tree on the corner was a to traffic. At parties, the shy girl would being asked to dance. My uncle has a to repeat the same story over and over again. The modest man used to his own strength. No person can ever in all things he does. Being is far better than being stubborn. We went to the beach on occasions last summer. Playing with dolls is traditionally* a pastime. Only the brightest students were invited to for the prize. Carole was ten years old before her parents finally let her a horse.